The Definition of Gaslighting
Gaslighting is a sophisticated manipulation tactic which certain types of personalities use to create doubt in the minds of others. It is sometimes used (whether consciously or unconsciously) as means of control and manipulation by stalkers and in particularly by cyberstalkers.
A form of psychological abuse in which false information is presented with the intent of making a victim doubt his or her own memory and perception. It may simply be the denial by an abuser that previous abusive incidents ever occurred, or it could be the staging of bizarre events by the abuser with the intention of disorienting the victim.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU ARE BEING GASLIGHTED?
The following (albeit non-exhaustive) are common signs of gaslighting. If you are a victim of spatial stalking or cyberstalking and answer "yes" to several of the following, seek the opinion in the first instance of a trusted friend, confidant or counsellor. Thereafter consider seeking medical and legal advice:
- Constantly 2nd guessing yourself
- You feel emotionally trapped and imprisoned by your stalker - and yet you cannot explain quite how or why to your family and friends
- You feel like you stalker/cyberstalker is constantly one step ahead of you - almost as if they are predicting what you will do next
- Persistent dull sense of inexplicable confusion
- Constantly find yourself apologising for your actions to those closest to you (professionally, personally and socially)
- If you find yourself withholding information from friends and family so you don't have to explain or make excuses
- You know something is terribly wrong, but you can't place your finger on what exactly is wrong
- You have trouble making simple decisions
- Persistently asking yourself, "Am I over sensitive?"
- Your personality has been changed dramatically and inexplicably by the stalking from confident to under-confident; from relaxed to tense; from creative to fuzzy-headed and incapable of creativity
- Lacking in peace and hope
- You start doubting your abilities generally
- You find yourself withholding information from friends and family so you don't have to explain or make excuses
- You find yourself withdrawing and becoming more and more isolated socially - even from close friends
GASLIGHTING - USEFUL LINKS AND REFERENCES